Saturday 25 August 2012

Wedding Blog #1: Our First Year

So if we've worked out our dates correctly, Craig and I met one year ago today! What better time to start my wedding blog?

When I met Craig, I'd been single maybe just over two months. As is always the way when you hear these stories, I wasn't looking for a relationship when I met him. I wouldn't say the break-up I'd gone through two months earlier was a particularly bad one, but the whole experience did make me want to be a bit selfish and have some me time for a while, going out with my friends without worrying about anybody else. The night he approached me, we just talked a lot and had a laugh, then he asked for my number when I had to leave. Although we were going on regular dates, I kept things more on a friendly level at first, as someone else who I had known longer was also asking me on dates. To keep things as simple as possible, I kept things on a friendly level with both of them for a few weeks while I was figuring it all out. We got very close, very quickly, so it didn't take too long for me to realise who it was I wanted to be with. After all of our dates, we would sit in the backseat of my car at the beach and talk for hours. We never, ever ran out of things to talk about. We could tell each other anything. I always used to cringe when people said this, but he really became like a best friend as well as a boyfriend. Within two months of getting together, he'd told me he loved me and that he was going to marry me. It sounds insane, and to be honest, it freaked me out a little. It was a good three or four months until I could start telling him I loved him first, or until I could start talking about marriage properly. I was really scared, and now I'm not actually sure why! It was a lot to take in, in such a short space of time. It's funny to see how people respond. One friend of mine freaked out when I told her this story, and she vowed she could never, ever get engaged or move in with someone so quick. I told her to wait until she meets the person she wants to be with for the rest of her life. I take great pleasure in teasing her now because merely weeks after she told me that, she met her current boyfriend and moved in with him within three months. She now completely understands where I'm coming from. I always know that people who criticise our relationship just don't understand, and won't understand until it happens to them, so it doesn't get to me. My parents got engaged after six months. They've been together 27 years, so it definitely proves that it really doesn't matter how long you've known each other before you get engaged.

I got my engagement ring in May. I don't know where this rumour came from, but I definitely did NOT run out and buy my own ring. I have no idea why someone would think that, but just to clear that up.. lol :) I did pick out several rings that I liked, and Craig then used those ideas to buy me the ring he ultimately decided on. It was really important to him to go out and choose something himself, and I'm really fussy so I had a hard time letting him do this at first, but in the end and after looking at literally millions of rings, I let him take control of the ring picking! I knew when he was going to give me it because he was a nervous wreck all day, which then made me nervous, and for some reason when I'm nervous I laugh so we laughed all the way through his little proposal/ring presentation haha. It's white gold with 7 little cluster diamonds, so it's very sparkly, just the way I wanted it! He did really good!

Our engagement party is in seven weeks, so I'll be back with another wedding blog soon focusing on how we celebrate our engagement :)

No comments:

Post a Comment